Our History

_MG_1156

Matthew Flinders entered the heads of Port Phillip Bay on the 26th April 1802 and landed near Mornington on the 28th April. On Schnapper Point above the Mornington pier is a memorial to Matthew Flinders engraved on a granite obelisk which rises thirty feet in the shape of a giant fin, to a man of destiny, “the most generous, most learned and most modest of all the Australian explorers.”  The settlement at Schnapper Point developed into the township of Mornington. Along with the hard core of residents who lived and worked within the area, there were the professional business people who built their magnificent holiday homes along the Esplanade, capturing the views of the bay.

For more information on the historical buildings visit www.mainstreetmornington.com.au